Documents Required to import a car in Jamaica

Documents Required to import a Vehicle In Jamaica

Do you want to import a motor vehicle in Jamaica? If yes, you must first apply to the Trade Board for anImport Licence and receive same before making arrangements for the shipping of the vehicle to Jamaica .Here are other documents you would need to import a vehicle from one of our branches in United Kingdom, Thailand, Singapore or Australia.

Documents Required To Import a Motor Vehicle

1. Import licence Issued by the Trade Board Limited authorizing the importation of the motor vehicle.

2. Title : A document issued to the owner of the vehicle by the Government of the country where the vehicle was purchased. We will provide this.


3. Bill of Lading/Order Obtained from the shipping agent with information about the particulars of the vehicle, the date it landed in the island and the port of entry. We will provide this.


4. Invoice : An invoice from the supplier is required for all motor vehicles. We will provide this.

5. Bill of Sight: This is a document on which details of the motor vehicle to be imported are recorded. It is prepared and signed by the broker and certified by Customs. Your Customs clearance company will create this.

6. Tax Compliance Obtained from the Tax Administration Certificate (TCC) Services Department.

7. Import Entry (C87): This is the primary import document on which all the particulars of the motor vehicle, the name of the importer, shipping information and the duties are recorded. It is completed by the broker and submitted to Customs. Only a licensed Customs Broker should complete this form ..

What is the method used for determining the value of motor vehicles?

Under the WTO Agreement, invoices are to be presented to Customs from which the value for duty will be derived.

Is there an age limit for the importation of motor vehicles? Yes.

For pick-ups – Six(6) years

For motor cars – Five(5) years

Trucks, Trailers and other heavy duty equipment – Ten (10) years

Please contact the Trade Board at 967-0507 or 967-0674 for further information on age limits and import licence for motor vehicle.

Age limit for buses to be used in the transportation sector will be determined by the Ministry of Finance.

NOTE:Import Duty,Special Consumption tax and GCT is compounded, The processing fee and environmental levy is included in the aggregate Duty.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *